Friday, January 11, 2008

Runts: Robert Rauschenberg’s New Series and Much More

Runts: Robert Rauschenberg’s New Series and Much More at Pace Wildenstein.

What more can be said about Robert Rauschenberg that has not been said before? Runts are said to be the smallest works he has produced in many years. The images are from his archive of photographs, and in some cases, stirred up my own by gone memories of the architecture and graffiti I’ve walked by a million times. Pace Wildenstein was buzzing in anticipation of his presence. The crème of the crop were all out and about last night and in attendance. Chuck Close was there sitting quite high in his hydraulic wheel chair chatting with people when in rolled the ever dapper Rauschenberg. Chiding Close (and this is not verbatim as I’m recounting this from memory) “Chuck, you always try to out do me.” Both artists laughing as he rolled over to Close, it was a fantastic, strange dance of wheel chairs much to the delight of everyone as they hugged greeting each other. Not ten minutes later in rolled another from the gang, I’ll let you guess his name as not to give it all away but, it has an M. and the crowd responded with “Oh my god can you believe it isn’t this wonderful!” It was a very touching moment I will always remember as the cameras were clicking away from all sides. …And so the evening at Pace was complete; I went on my way with a smile.


Robert Rauschenberg: Runts
January 11, - February 16, 2008

Pace Wildenstein
534 W. 25th Street
NY NY


http://www.pacewildenstein.com/

No comments: