Friday, June 29, 2007

The Beholder’s Eye

The Beholder’s Eye, first annual Contemporary Art invitational curated by Katherine Chapin opened at The Salmagundi Club Art Club Friday night on Fifth Avenue and 12th street in NYC, NY. Featuring work by 40 artists, some of which are; Hugo Xavier Bastidas, Germaine Brooks, John Bowman, Jennifer Coates, Jane Irish, Charles Yoder, David Humphrey, Ryan Scully and Julia Marchand.

On an absolutely freezing evening, I maneuvered my way past the crowd of people checking in all their layers opting to keep mine with me and get to it. Much of the work harked back to a classical history with an underlying uneasy twist. John Bowman’s piece “Volley”, depicting a seemingly traditional battle scene in very subdued raw umber brown tones with a sparse number of soldiers left you feeling unsure if the battle had just begun, just ended or not all parties were notified of the event. The answers are open to your interpretation. It was the ambiguity of the moment, which I found most fascinating about the work.

Charles Yoder’s large scale forest scene looking through the woods towards a sun lit intimate little clearing is a child’s hidden secret spot now on the brink of being discovered by the viewer.
I felt I could either be the child coming back to the spot with glee or a stranger happily anticipating claiming the spot for myself.

Offering many interesting interpretations, the work led me through on it’s own time from one piece to another and back again.
www.salmagundi.org

No comments: